My photo
I am a girl/woman/human who has random thoughts. Sometimes you can find me here rambling, other times i might have useful stuff to say. For the most part, my friends and family can see what I might be up to in the days events. Or, for sake of sakes, its all made up... only i know.. and MAYBE a select few of you! Either way~ I am an American living in Australia. Oh, and any photo you see on this blog IS NOT FOR YOUR USE. If I have taken the photo myself or have permission to use it, YOU CAN NOT USE IT FOR YOURSELF. So be warned... and just dont use my damn photos.

National Geographic Photo of the Day

Monday, November 30, 2009

Ethics

bricks

To me, my ethics are what hold my foundation together. Along with morals, they help me be me. I feel very strongly about my morals & ethics, and I really do not like to compromise on such issues. I firmly believe that without ethics & morals, the foundation of YOU as a person is on shaky ground, and once you take one brick from that foundation, its too easy to crumble.

I was asked today at work to fudge the books… as in, not put certain things in the allocated accounts to which they should go.

Why?

Because the person doesnt want to pay taxes on a vehicle they use for personal use.

So, I was approached to dodgy things a bit.

I just cant do things like that. 

For one, I believe in doing my job properly, to the best of my ability, and do my job so that I am proud of how I conduct my tasks.  But, when someone higher than you asks you such a thing, its awkward.

Very awkward.

But, I told the person NO, I would not do it. And that I believe Karma comes back to you. And, if the person feels they are paying in taxes they should not be paying, they should sort something out. But that I was not going to dodgy the books.

I just cant. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I have done wrong.

I still feel weird about the situation tho… or maybe I'm just amazed that I was even asked such a thing.

Although, I am glad to know that I have strong ethics & morals, even if others do not. I know that my foundation is solid, and something to be proud of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if your place of employment paid you a higher salary they may not have to pay such high taxes! Proud of you for stickin to your guns on the request denied. You've done the right thing. Send them to their accountant to get advice on how to lower their taxes..its not your responsibility! Why should you put your butt on the line. If there's an audit, you'd have to answer for it, not them...you did right! PROUD OF YOU! A decent employer wouldn't even ASK THAT!

InALittleMinute said...

Thank you! Its nice to be ressured that I am doing the right thing.

And the raise... would be nice... but somehow, I cant see it happening.. they would give themselves a raise first (so that way it covers the piddly amount of taxes they have to pay in.)

Nice thought tho.