My photo
I am a girl/woman/human who has random thoughts. Sometimes you can find me here rambling, other times i might have useful stuff to say. For the most part, my friends and family can see what I might be up to in the days events. Or, for sake of sakes, its all made up... only i know.. and MAYBE a select few of you! Either way~ I am an American living in Australia. Oh, and any photo you see on this blog IS NOT FOR YOUR USE. If I have taken the photo myself or have permission to use it, YOU CAN NOT USE IT FOR YOURSELF. So be warned... and just dont use my damn photos.

National Geographic Photo of the Day

Monday, February 23, 2009

This weekend I wandered around a particular store.. its a storage store of sorts. I was looking for a few items and had intended on making approx 50 dollars worth of purchases.

I arrived at the mall early: the store had only been open for 45 minutes before I walked thru the doors. I was the only one in the store.. along with 2 employees.

I ventured my way around the store, to find myself within elbow distance from Employee #1- a girl who eats well above her RDI, early 20's, and dark hair. Employee #1 did NOT utter a peep to me. In fact, she looked at me and then turned around. I was picking up items off the shelf and looking at the price tag, and Employee #1 didnt care.

I found myself in another area of the store digging thru things on the shelf, and in fact, I even dropped an item, which although wasnt breakable, it was evident someone was rummaging thru the shelves. Oh, and the fact that I had an OVERSIZED shopping cart pushing the way thru the store...

Later, I ventured to a different area and saw and heard Employee # 1 & #2 picking thru shelf full of air fresheners and deciding which one they liked better.

It wasnt until I sneezed that Employee #2 (shorter hair, possibly late 20s to early 30s, bit stumpy) looked up and asked me, "Can I help you with anything?"

To which I rudely stated: "No, Im no longer looking for any items here." and put ALL my purchases on the shelf and walked out. I was in the store approx 15-20 minutes and that was the FIRST acknowledgement of me as a customer. I couldnt believe that although they noticed me, they didnt want to help me. Especially in a time when the economy is in the situation it is- I really would have thought they would want to keep their jobs. So much for me assuming again.

I was going to do nothing about it and then it just frustrated me. I have shopped at the store before and NEVER received service like that before. I called this morning to speak to the manager and explained the situation. She was so appreciative of my phone call as Saturday is the only day she & her husband have off from the store. She didnt realize that was happening, and certainly didnt appreciate her employees not working.

During the conversation I made it clear that I had never had that sort of experience before in her store, and that was the reason for my call. I also explained to her that as a Manager myself, I am looking at my employees during this time and getting rid of those who really dont seem to want to work. I felt her staff that morning were in that category. She agreed. She also knew exactly who I was speaking about and didnt question me on the issues, which lead me to believe that she wasnt real confident with Employee # 1 & #2 being "superior" employees anyway.

I feel better for at least letting the manager know. She felt good about being told about the situation and I reassured her that I would be shopping there again, but no, I didnt make any purchases that day, and no, I didnt appreciate the lackluster customer service that day either. At the end of the conversation, I think she was on her way to "re-evaluate" some employees and I was feeling much better about her as a manager.

What she does with it is her business. But it is my businesss to inform that as a customer, I expected more. I was pleased with her taking the time to listen to my concerns. So, ******* Storage World.... you redeemed yourself today.

Thank you to Manager/Owner Robin for being interested in your business!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD FOR YOU! Many of us think of doing these sorts of things and in a world that we make sooo busy, we don't take the time so congrats to you! Owners/managers often don't know what happens when they are not there so it is a real positive thing to give feedback, positive and negative. Things can't improve if we don't know somethings wrong. Thanks for making our shopping world a better more pleasurable place.

Angel said...

you go girl!!!! Hey, there are alot of people out there who would LOVE to have a job.....give it to them!